I dont have a record player but would buy vinyl with a download code
2%
I have no interest in records
4%
I prefer black vinyls
6%
I prefer coloured vinyls
23%
I would join up / support a pre-order / kickstarter campaign to guarantee funds to press something
19%

Total votes : 83

Skatepunk releases on vinyl

Postby disconnectdisconnect » Dec 8th, '11, 16:05

I think there was a thread on this a while back, but thought it was worth another go to get some ideas and see what you guys want. If you dont know, I run a small label in the UK called Disconnect Disconnect, and we've put out some stuff recently by the likes of This Is A Standoff, Mute and Jet Market. Skatepunkers is an important part of my fanbase / market so just wanted to get a few ideas on whether getting some future releases (or even re-releases) pressed is worthwhile, as there's a hell of a lot more money to lose doing failed vinyl releases than failed CD releases!

I dont know how to make a poll, but wanted to see whether people on here:
A) Have a record player
B) Buy vinyl
C) Dont have a record player but would buy vinyl with a download code
D) Have no interest in records
E) Prefer black or coloured vinyl
F) Would join up / support a pre-order / kickstarter campaign to guarantee funds to press something

Any ideas or feedback would be much appreciated. Due to having not fully backed a vinyl project myself before and my inconsistent sales I'm a lot more tempted to raise the funds first through something like Kickstarter and then get something pressed than just throwing £800+ ($1500) into a project for only 10 people to pick something up!

Cheers guys.
disconnectdisconnect

Re: Skatepunk releases on vinyl

Postby khet » Dec 8th, '11, 16:09

I addded a multiple choice pool for your questions (let me know if you like it, I can erase it if you want)
where you are and where you want to be
khet
skatepunkers.net

Postby DonLombardo » Dec 8th, '11, 16:12

E should be over instead of or, right?
"Look at your life, cause I am sorry but that is it. And you think you're better off this way. But I think it's sad that you can't see. And you think it's better off this way but when the pleasure fades one day, where will you turn and where will you run? When it's all through and there's no more fun will there be time to turn it around? When you look up and ask Him will you be too late or be found?"

Broken Cedars - After Burners
DonLombardo

Postby DonLombardo » Dec 8th, '11, 16:12

I prefer black if it's cheaper than.

Anyone wanna release Adhesive - Sideburner with me? It shouldn't take too much effort...
"Look at your life, cause I am sorry but that is it. And you think you're better off this way. But I think it's sad that you can't see. And you think it's better off this way but when the pleasure fades one day, where will you turn and where will you run? When it's all through and there's no more fun will there be time to turn it around? When you look up and ask Him will you be too late or be found?"

DonLombardo

Postby disconnectdisconnect » Dec 8th, '11, 16:25

khet wrote:I addded a multiple choice pool for your questions (let me know if you like it, I can erase it if you want)

Awesome cheers Khet. I'll be in touch with the promo for the new comp this weekend!
disconnectdisconnect

Postby disconnectdisconnect » Dec 8th, '11, 16:42

DonLombardo wrote:I prefer black if it's cheaper than.

Anyone wanna release Adhesive - Sideburner with me? It shouldn't take too much effort...

I think for re-releases / pressings of older stuff, setting up something like a Kickstarter thing would be good to actually see if there's demand. Although I know some of my favourite records have never been brought to vinyl, if they're not from massive bands like Fat Wreck / Epitaph artists, I reckon people wouldnt be that interested unless there's something like a comeback on the cards / the band is still touring etc. Obviously this isnt the case all of the time, more just a word of warning to you - I have no idea how big the market would be for that particular release, and would hate to see someone lose lots of money and get totally disheartened with the whole idea if nobody picked up a record.
disconnectdisconnect

Postby RebukePete » Dec 8th, '11, 17:23

you have also put out stuff by Rebuke.

just saying.

kind of a big deal.
RebukePete
cumguzzling buttslut

Postby dayglo » Dec 8th, '11, 17:26

I have a bunch of punk on vinyl and buy records but don't have a record player and mostly listen to mp3s. Records are just neat things to own when they're of your favourite bands, have cool artwork and are possibly rare.
dayglo

Postby peter_belvedere » Dec 8th, '11, 17:34

I have a record player and I play more records on it than cds on a cd player. I dont know why, maybe because vinyls are more classic than the cd or because they are bigger and cooler to put them on the player. About the records I own, I just have the classic ones likes the NOFx vinyls, Lagwagon, etc. I also have some After The Fall vinyls.
About the color, coloured ones looks better, but I give priority to the final price of the product. Are coloured vinyls pressing much more expensive than the black ones?
na na na nana na na naahhhhhh
peter_belvedere

Postby DonLombardo » Dec 8th, '11, 17:38

I'd buy wouldworks anyday.

Also, I'd buy Be Excited by TIAS if you'd wanna put that out.

DonLombardo

Postby peter_belvedere » Dec 8th, '11, 17:42

Forgot to say! I like re-presses as long as they havent been pressed on vinyl before. For example, I didnt like when a record label re-pressed the Blink182 Buddha's vinyl again, but I would like a lot to have an Adhesive's Sideburner vinyl press on my hands.
na na na nana na na naahhhhhh
peter_belvedere

Postby d4rk0n3r0cks » Dec 8th, '11, 17:46

Adhesive - sideburner on vinyl might be my first vinyl.
I only buy cd's but I'd make an exception for this one. And who knows, maybe it'll lead me to buy a record player? :P
d4rk0n3r0cks

Postby DonLombardo » Dec 8th, '11, 17:48

We'll see, we'll see...
I listen a lot to my vinyl records, especially those who are vinyl only. And mostly when I'm doing the dishes since the vinyl player's speakers are in that direction. I just changed the needle and

I got Slick Shoes - Rusty a month or two ago, really happy about that one. and the Lagwagon box yesterday. And also the Inspection 12 album In Recovery.

DonLombardo

Postby DonLombardo » Dec 8th, '11, 17:49

so there's like 5 people here alone tht would buy sideburners? that's pretty awesome.

DonLombardo

Postby khet » Dec 8th, '11, 17:52

peter_belvedere wrote:Forgot to say! I like re-presses as long as they havent been pressed on vinyl before. For example, I didnt like when a record label re-pressed the Blink182 Buddha's vinyl again, but I would like a lot to have an Adhesive's Sideburner vinyl press on my hands.

+1. That kind of represses only confuse people. For example, when you see them up on eBay you dont know if you are bidding for the original pressing or not.

d4rk0n3r0cks wrote:Adhesive - sideburner on vinyl might be my first vinyl.
I only buy cd's but I'd make an exception for this one. And who knows, maybe it'll lead me to buy a record player? :P

You should get a vinyl player dude! Even if the releases are already relesed on cd and as a skatepunk cd collector you are, getting a record player is like a "evolution among the cd collectors" :P

An Adhesive - Sideburner on vinyl would be awesome too. I'm not into releasing records and stuff, but if you want to release for example a super old record (like the Adhesive one), what do you have to do? Pay the Adhesive ex-members for a "license" or something?
where you are and where you want to be
khet
skatepunkers.net

Next

Return to - GENERAL -