Steve & The Alcoholics

Bands like, Adhesive, Millencolin, Passage 4, Satanic Surfers, etc.etc.

Moderator: DonLombardo

Steve & The Alcoholics

Postby DonLombardo » Feb 19th, '12, 09:45

"Look at your life, cause I am sorry but that is it. And you think you're better off this way. But I think it's sad that you can't see. And you think it's better off this way but when the pleasure fades one day, where will you turn and where will you run? When it's all through and there's no more fun will there be time to turn it around? When you look up and ask Him will you be too late or be found?"

Broken Cedars - After Burners
DonLombardo

Re: Steve & The Alcoholics

Postby Blacklung » Feb 19th, '12, 11:06

Nope, but I just ordered it!
Blacklung
Zombie Ninja

Postby jankoprah » Feb 19th, '12, 16:42

yeah, I have it.
do you want me to upload it?
jankoprah

Postby DonLombardo » Feb 19th, '12, 16:43

Yep :) The unreleased songs at least (possibly in WAV/FLAC?)
"Look at your life, cause I am sorry but that is it. And you think you're better off this way. But I think it's sad that you can't see. And you think it's better off this way but when the pleasure fades one day, where will you turn and where will you run? When it's all through and there's no more fun will there be time to turn it around? When you look up and ask Him will you be too late or be found?"

DonLombardo

Postby napalm » Feb 19th, '12, 20:28

OK, you guys know that I listen to a lot of different bands with a lot of different views, but I will never listen to these guys because of these lyrics:

"Some say 'you better bend your knees and pray'
When every line is a corruption lost in time
stupid book, written on beardy crook
I think it's time we nail the guy against the cross again"

Does anybody think these are good lyrics?
napalm

Postby jankoprah » Feb 19th, '12, 22:44

jankoprah

Postby Voll » Feb 20th, '12, 01:25

napalm wrote:OK, you guys know that I listen to a lot of different bands with a lot of different views, but I will never listen to these guys because of these lyrics:

well, i understand that you're offended as the wording is pretty drastic but isn't it their right to express their view on things?
by the way you shouldn't listen to Propagandhi ("fuck zionism. fuck militarism. fuck americanism. fuck nationalism. fuck religion") either ;)
Last edited by Voll on Feb 20th, '12, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
Petitioning the empty sky...

Real quality can only rise on the brink of disaster.
Voll
The mad scientist

Postby khet » Feb 20th, '12, 01:27

When was this released? 2011 or 2012?
where you are and where you want to be
khet
skatepunkers.net

Postby napalm » Feb 20th, '12, 03:00

Voll wrote:
napalm wrote:OK, you guys know that I listen to a lot of different bands with a lot of different views, but I will never listen to these guys because of these lyrics:

well, i understand that you're offended as the wording is pretty drastic but isn't it their right to express their view on things?
by the way you shouldn't listen to Propagandhi ("fuck zionism. fuck militarism. fuck americanism. fuck nationalism. fuck religion") either ;)

Sure, Voll. People have the right to say anything. Should that stop me from criticizing it? If bands have Nazi lyrics I'm not just going to say "awesome, that's your right."

I don't listen to Propagandhi, or the Decline. I'll listen to bands that explore morality and question belief but I don't get along with extremists. (I also don't listen to gospel or super Christian songs, for example. There are FIF, Dogwood, etc songs that I can't stand.) It's insultingly easy to run around saying "F everything", that's not 'free thinking'. If the song was saying to nail non-believers to the cross, or to burn Muslims, I wouldn't like that either. These are garbage lyrics.
napalm

Postby Voll » Feb 20th, '12, 11:54

napalm wrote:
Voll wrote:

Sure, Voll. People have the right to say anything. Should that stop me from criticizing it? If bands have Nazi lyrics I'm not just going to say "awesome, that's your right."

I don't listen to Propagandhi, or the Decline. I'll listen to bands that explore morality and question belief but I don't get along with extremists. (I also don't listen to gospel or super Christian songs, for example. There are FIF, Dogwood, etc songs that I can't stand.) It's insultingly easy to run around saying "F everything", that's not 'free thinking'. If the song was saying to nail non-believers to the cross, or to burn Muslims, I wouldn't like that either. These are garbage lyrics.

Even if I'm not religious and consider organized religion (not the belief in god ...see the thread in the off topic section ;) ) something horrible I wouldn't write such lyrics myself ...of course you're free to criticize them! But thinking of your other examples FIF and Dogwood (it's a shame, I love the music) you're rather talking about the lack of tolerance in those lyrics, right? I think I can agree with that!

About your comparison with Nazi lyrics: Since I'm german and by american standard probably pretty left-extremist this is a delicate topic for me. I don't think this comparison fits here because writing Nazi lyrics would be supporting the idea of killing millions of people just because they belong to the wrong "race" (which is pretty much a made up term). That this "race" is connected with a certain religion doesn't play any role in this case as religion itself was planned be replaced with a "Führer-cult" (I'm simplifying here).

By the way: I don't like The Decline myself ...not because of their anti-religious lyrics but because they only seem to have two topics: vegetarism/veganism and religion. They just bore me.
Petitioning the empty sky...

Real quality can only rise on the brink of disaster.
Voll
The mad scientist

Postby DonLombardo » Feb 20th, '12, 16:18

I'm with you on the whole lyrics thing. It's not that I can enjoy a good christian criticism, it's just that I've always thought these lyrics are particularily un-thought through, on the verge to naïve. No arguments, just saying that the books is full of lies etc. I don't even udnerstand the whole "I think it's time we nail the guy against the cross again" thing. What does he mean?

But I think that the band has great melodies, and since I'm pretty sure of what I believe I can listen to and enjoy some music just for the songs, melodies and such.

Propagandhi on the other hand (particularily Hannah) has great and well crafted lyrics that can be enjoyed even though you might not agree. Also, he's super funny.

DonLombardo

Postby ošťa » Feb 20th, '12, 17:23

DonLombarde wrote:But I think that the band has great melodies, and since I'm pretty sure of what I believe I can listen to and enjoy some music just for the songs, melodies and such.

Thnaks, i couldn't say it better. I know it's OT, but can anyone post some "bad" Decline's lyrics? Passage.
ošťa

Postby napalm » Feb 20th, '12, 19:24

Voll wrote:Even if I'm not religious and consider organized religion (not the belief in god ...see the thread in the off topic section ;) ) something horrible I wouldn't write such lyrics myself ...of course you're free to criticize them! But thinking of your other examples FIF and Dogwood (it's a shame, I love the music) you're rather talking about the lack of tolerance in those lyrics, right? I think I can agree with that!

About your comparison with Nazi lyrics: Since I'm german and by american standard probably pretty left-extremist this is a delicate topic for me. I don't think this comparison fits here because writing Nazi lyrics would be supporting the idea of killing millions of people just because they belong to the wrong "race" (which is pretty much a made up term). That this "race" is connected with a certain religion doesn't play any role in this case as religion itself was planned be replaced with a "Führer-cult" (I'm simplifying here).

By the way: I don't like The Decline myself ...not because of their anti-religious lyrics but because they only seem to have two topics: vegetarism/veganism and religion. They just bore me.

I didn't mean to offend you or your country by mentioning Nazi lyrics, I forgot that I was speaking to a German. Sorry. :oops: It seems that we agree, we do not like intolerance.

My point was that I don't like hateful lyrics. In this case, Steve & A's are basically saying that they hate religion so much they want to nail someone else to the cross. Not cool in my book.
napalm

Postby d4rk0n3r0cks » Feb 20th, '12, 19:46

the Decline's first album was much more about veganism and religion than the second, from what I've heard.
Maybe those who dislike them so much could post a couple of these "bad" lyrics, like ošťa suggested.

Also, I would not take too seriously the lyrics from a band called "Steve and the Alcoholics" which claims to be "beer soaked skatepunk" hahaha
d4rk0n3r0cks

Postby napalm » Feb 20th, '12, 20:00

I don't want to make this into a topic of "Napalm vs all skatepunk lyrics"... If Steve & the Alcoholics are going to be 'beer soaked skatepunk' and play around that's fine with me but then they should write less serious lyrics. Like I said, I listen to bands with all kinds of lyrical messages, but some lyrics are just terrible.

Propagandhi is very smartly written music, but I just get so damn annoyed with hearing the same themes in every song. It's all pessimistic doom & gloom and it just brings me down. Tons of bands manage to analyze society and leave you with a positive message... Propagandhi is almost always negative.

The Decline are much less smartly written. Look at the lyrics to 'homophobes are gay'. They could have written that message hundreds of different ways, but they chose to write it like a bunch of angry, cursing, negative 15 year olds. I don't want to listen to that. Some people (like that Anus guy who used to post here) will run around with their fists up yelling "THAT'S TRUE PUNK", but I just don't like the negativity.
napalm

Next

Return to Scandinavian Skatepunk