New Double Negative album 2014/2015

For any news related with the skatepunk world, post them here!

Moderator: Smarch Weather

New Double Negative album 2014/2015

Postby PStevenson » Sep 24th, '14, 13:42

we're most of the way through recording the new album - we've gone in a different direction this time - instead of doing fast songs, they are mostly acoustic
and synth heavy.
haha - joke.

here's one of the songs off it https://soundcloud.com/pstevenson/doubl ... e-lyndrome

what I wanted to ask people was, how many songs do you think an album should have (in this genre) - I need to get it right cause it's getting a CD release.
PStevenson

Re: New Double Negative album 2014/2015

Postby Voll » Sep 24th, '14, 18:49

<3 DN <3

For an album I think it should have at least 10 to 12 tracks ...but more is always better. Bands with short songs sometimes have albums with up to 16 or 18 songs.
Petitioning the empty sky...

Real quality can only rise on the brink of disaster.
Voll
The mad scientist

Postby PStevenson » Sep 24th, '14, 21:19

Voll wrote:<3 DN <3

For an album I think it should have at least 10 to 12 tracks ...but more is always better. Bands with short songs sometimes have albums with up to 16 or 18 songs.

aye - I was leaning towards the higher end of the spectrum - 16 or so
PStevenson

Postby d4rk0n3r0cks » Sep 25th, '14, 13:12

If it can help, I think the number of songs isn't really important, but the lenght is.

If a record is more than 40 minutes it might feel repetitive after a while, and the listener might have the impression that the songs are blending together...

On the other hand I think that this is totally subjective and that only the artist should decide that :P

I've never been bored at listening to a DN album, even if they are 15+ songs long. Believe me I've had my fair share of listening to "Unmutual" since it's out ! ;)

Can I be curious and ask you if that cd release is teamed up with a record label ?
d4rk0n3r0cks

Postby khet » Sep 25th, '14, 22:17

hey dude! the song is very nice so I would like to post it on the site. Can you give me any art, band photo or something if you are a one-man-band?
Thanks ;)
where you are and where you want to be
khet
skatepunkers.net

Postby PStevenson » Sep 25th, '14, 22:30

khet wrote:hey dude! the song is very nice so I would like to post it on the site. Can you give me any art, band photo or something if you are a one-man-band?
Thanks ;)

I haven't done any art yet unfortunately - the only thing artwise I've done is this so far (attached below hopefully)
I would be very grateful for the post though dude thankyou!
Attachments
11.jpg
11.jpg (243.25 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
PStevenson

Postby PStevenson » Sep 25th, '14, 22:38

d4rk0n3r0cks wrote:If it can help, I think the number of songs isn't really important, but the lenght is.
If a record is more than 40 minutes it might feel repetitive after a while, and the listener might have the impression that the songs are blending together...
On the other hand I think that this is totally subjective and that only the artist should decide that :P
I've never been bored at listening to a DN album, even if they are 15+ songs long. Believe me I've had my fair share of listening to "Unmutual" since it's out ! ;)
Can I be curious and ask you if that cd release is teamed up with a record label ?

no, it's just me paying for it to be pressed (not CDRs) I've actually sorted all the quotes and my friend who's been doing bits and pieces on the album is paying some of it too.
Labels aren't really interested in recording-only bands which I can understand.

what I was going to do is get opinions on songs count/time (I thought the same about 40 minutes too) and then throw a few "bonus songs" on at the end after a gap track so they are on the CD but not part of the album if you know what I mean.
PStevenson

Postby AGarcia200 » Sep 25th, '14, 23:05

Dude I love these tunes!
AGarcia200

Postby Voll » Sep 29th, '14, 00:12

PStevenson wrote:
d4rk0n3r0cks wrote:If it can help, I think the number of songs isn't really important, but the lenght is.

no, it's just me paying for it to be pressed (not CDRs) I've actually sorted all the quotes and my friend who's been doing bits and pieces on the album is paying some of it too.
Labels aren't really interested in recording-only bands which I can understand.

what I was going to do is get opinions on songs count/time (I thought the same about 40 minutes too) and then throw a few "bonus songs" on at the end after a gap track so they are on the CD but not part of the album if you know what I mean.

Well, maybe some labels - cough Less Talk cough - are at least interested in distributing it ;)
Petitioning the empty sky...

Real quality can only rise on the brink of disaster.
Voll
The mad scientist

Postby d4rk0n3r0cks » Sep 29th, '14, 09:40

Hahaha, I was hoping that you were going to say something like that !!! ;)
I'd be up to collaborate to this! I've always believed in the physical making of a Double Negative album!
d4rk0n3r0cks

Postby PStevenson » Sep 30th, '14, 21:31

d4rk0n3r0cks wrote:Hahaha, I was hoping that you were going to say something like that !!! ;)
I'd be up to collaborate to this! I've always believed in the physical making of a Double Negative album!

me too - everytime I've tried to do it - it's just been an absolute pain in the arse with all the red tape and stuff
this time I contacted a company and said "I want to do this and you have to make it simple, I don't give a fuck about radios playing it, people copying it and I don't care about bloody barcodes - I just want a proper
pressing of a CD - can you do that?" and they said yes.

so that's that. if other people want to release it too on their preferred medium - I'll be cool with that (as long as they send me a couple!).
PStevenson

Postby khet » Oct 1st, '14, 16:56

khet
skatepunkers.net

Postby khet » Oct 1st, '14, 16:57

* topic moved to NEWS.
khet
skatepunkers.net